How INANE functions
- We maintain a tradition of “non-organization”, meaning that there are no formal officers, no elections, no dues.
- The group maintains a cobweb of workgroups that are identified by purpose, interest and need. The workgroups are open, with self-selected participants moving in and out of the workgroups as determined by interest and availability
- Leadership in various workgroups is rotating and fluid.
- Decisions are made by those who voluntarily assume primary responsibility for any specific task. Group-wide decisions, such as the location of future annual conferences, occur because someone volunteers to lead the task at hand. Major decisions are informed by an interplay between open discussions on the email list, face-to-face discussions at the annual meetings, and subsequent email list discussions. Ultimately, final decisions are made by any person or group of people who accept responsibility for a specific task.
- One individual each year steps forward to be the “agenda master” for the year; often this is the person who has volunteered to provide leadership for the annual conference, or her/his designee.
- The web site and email list are managed by a volunteer “Internet Services” workgroup, members of which determine specific responsibilities for various functions of these important services (see detailed description below)
- Any financial needs of the group are addressed by volunteer indivduals and organizations. Other than the annual conference, these needs are minimal.
- The Web site and Email list are managed by an Internet Services workgroup of volunteer members who design and maintain the Web site and the Yahoo Email list.
- The cost of the Web site domain name and hosting service is paid by volunteer donations; the web site group publishes an annual report of the costs involved and how it was paid.
- The Yahoo Email list has no associated expense.
- The Internet Services workgroup regularly invites suggestions and content contributions by members and users of the web site.
- The primary purpose of the Web site is to serve the needs of INANE members and others who are interested in the publication, distribution and quality of nursing literature.
- The Yahoo Email list provides the means of communication among and between all members.